Integrated Change Management. The missing ingredient to drive adoption in your major change programs
Delivering the best portfolio of projects faster and responding faster to changing priorities is not just about new technology, processes and more training. Our current situation has brought forward years of plans to change the way organizations work into a matter of months in some cases.
Yet, the cost of failure is still high. We are time poor, cash strapped and human capacity to deliver successful organizational change is more of an issue than ever before. It is no wonder that executives are demanding a faster time-to-value, agile staged results, measurable outcomes and greater visibility on change progress.
Even before COVID 19 we were already seeing:
- High levels of change fatigue – with almost ½ of people saying they were overwhelmed by organizational change
- Superficial engagement with change with only 25% of impacted individuals and groups committed to delivering success
- A surge in new technology adoption issues after go-live that threaten business case achievement
The days of “install, train and move on” are definitely gone on large scale transformation programs.
What is important is how quickly organizations can become change-ready with:
- easy access to tools and skills
- a people-centered, scalable approach to change planning and execution
- (perhaps) a different way to plan and deliver - that is data-driven, faster, smarter and more collaborative especially in today’s environment
The role of structured and highly practical Change Management planning, in adoption
So, how do you close this Adoption gap? Perhaps, not surprisingly you do it in the same way that you guarantee solution quality and effective project and program management – with:
A. Structured, data-driven Change Management, specifically designed to help people engage, commit and navigate challenges and relapses along the way. One of the key benefits of taking this type of structured approach is that you are able to quickly assess the risks and impacts that change is having on people - before, during and after the change - and proactively manage and mitigate change risks as they arise. All as an integrated part of your overall program tracking, reporting and planning.
B. Planning that is easy for PMs to dovetail into key stages in the program - which is the approach being taken by Changefirst – and our Partner KeyedIn – using PCI ®. Our proven, research-based Change Management methodology with 6 Critical Success Factors for people-centered change planning.
C. Planning that can keep pace, adapt and scale to agile project and program processes. The idea that you:
- choose established OCM methods and industry best practice that already align with program and project planning for a faster start.
- leverage best-of-breed digital capability to strengthen and accelerate collaboration
- can keep leaders in the loop with real-time dashboard reporting on milestone completion and upcoming priorities, As well as people-related risks and actions.
Driving up adoption in transformation programs
The absence of detailed plans for Solution Quality, Aligned Infrastructure and Project Management rarely the reasons why change implementation / sustainment is poor. What seems to fall between the cracks are the people struggles to embrace change, adoption new technologies and then sustain their efforts. What seems to catch us out every time is the early interest which does not guarantee commitment.
So, isn’t it time to adapt the way we ‘do’ Change – and to take a ‘digital first’ approach for the speed and agility we need to survive?
Audra Proctor has over 20 years’ experience in multi-industry and international change execution, is an author and regular change insights speaker at both public and client events.
At Changefirst she manages global client & partner relationships and leads proprietary methodology and digital solution development.
- Businesses Turn to Agile Principles for Improved Resource... Henry Bennett
- Challenges and Solutions from an Expert PMO Leader Welcome... Henry Bennett
- Businesses Embrace Agile to Thrive in any Environment Even... Henry Bennett
- 5 Answers to Your Most Important Change Management Questions Henry Bennett
- How can Top-Down Portfolio Management Solutions help... Henry Bennett
- PMO and Organizational Transformation: Crossing the... Henry Bennett
- How project portfolio planning software helps you pivot,... Henry Bennett
- Simplify Agile Adoption and Portfolio-Level... Henry Bennett
- And Then There Was One While the pandemic of 2020 slowed... Shawn Dickerson