7 Characteristics of a Best in Class Program Management Office (PMO)
So just how do you separate a best in class, fully mature PMO from the rest of the pack? Here is a checklist of 7 specific criteria you can use to benchmark your organization.
- Well-defined and achievable objectives
- Delivers responsibility, governance and oversight
- Viewed as supporting the business and IT strategy
- Established methodologies and framework for project management
- Able to measure and prove the realization of benefits (business value)
- Outward focus on business needs, not inward focus on processes
- Practices good relationship management, from executive sponsorship to project management
If your PMO meets all these criteria, it is no doubt adding great value to the business and there is no perceived gap between the interests of the company and the PMO.