As technology rapidly improves, forecasting becomes less of an art and more of a science. This has a real bearing on the realm of the programme management office, whose ideal role is to interpret data from multiple projects and quickly make actionable sense of it for decision makers at the strategic level. When several large projects (and teams) are involved, the aggregate effect of bad resource forecasts has expensive implications for the project-driven organisation.
Being able to quickly spot critical moments across the project portfolio where the gap between resource demand and actual resources is less than optimal means better resource utilisation, more projects completed on time, and more profit.
The enterprise programme management office (EPMO) has an imperative to quickly make sense of resource usage across many active projects. Many PMO software tools exist—from far-flung systems of spreadsheets to robust project management software. The former invites chaos. The latter is numerous, but often overcrowded with features that distract from the main goals of deploying the best resources to the highest earning projects, getting immediate actionable views of resource utilisation.
That's where exploring project portfolio management software designed specifically for the PMO delivers greater advantages by giving you much needed visibility into the resource pool.
Quick and effective visibility into the entire resource pool enables you to:
- Easily see which roles and qualifications are associated with your available team, thereby enabling you to quickly allocate work to the correct set of hands. This means less time wasted with assignments that put the wrong person on the job.
- Quickly categorise and group resources according to your company’s strategy and the tasks at hand. In other words, your software should work the way your company does rather than altering your workflow to fit the technology.
- Account for variances in work patterns, geography, and cost/charge rates based on grade, role and client.
- Quickly gauge how changing demands on your team resources will impact your ability to deliver.
- Businesses Turn to Agile Principles for Improved Resource... Henry Bennett
- Challenges and Solutions from an Expert PMO Leader Welcome... Henry Bennett
- Businesses Embrace Agile to Thrive in any Environment Even... Henry Bennett
- 5 Answers to Your Most Important Change Management Questions Henry Bennett
- How can Top-Down Portfolio Management Solutions help... Henry Bennett
- PMO and Organizational Transformation: Crossing the... Henry Bennett
- How project portfolio planning software helps you pivot,... Henry Bennett
- Simplify Agile Adoption and Portfolio-Level... Henry Bennett
- And Then There Was One While the pandemic of 2020 slowed... Shawn Dickerson