Learn how improved visibility and control over your projects and resources can help improve business efficiency and effectiveness.
Successful project management is not just a case of adopting best practices; technology too is a crucial enabler. The majority of PM top performers use some form of IT project management software. That means when a delay occurs, no matter how minor it seems, no matter what the cause, every stage in the schedule is updated and project managers remain in complete control. Any knock-on effects are clearly seen early, and so can be minimised and managed. Resources can be redirected and contingencies will be applied.
This point is so crucial that Aberdeen Group commented about it in a recent paper on Project Management in Professional Services: “Best-in-class companies are twice as likely as all others to have the ability to see project milestones and schedule status in real time.”
In addition to visibility this means too that where changes are a result of a new client demand, managers can give a far more informed answer of the cost and scheduling consequences. Service delivery and customer expectations are kept tightly locked and synchronised.
None of this means that a project will run smoothly: professional services is no place for fairy tales. But it does mean that when changes happen, you are ready for them – so you are more likely to deliver on-time and on-budget, even when costs and deadlines have changed. It doesn't guarantee you’ll live happily ever after, but it will put a smile on the face of both your client and even the board of directors. And please remember that the best time to think about using technology to streamline the process is before you are knee deep in the challenges.
- Businesses Turn to Agile Principles for Improved Resource... Henry Bennett
- Challenges and Solutions from an Expert PMO Leader Welcome... Henry Bennett
- Businesses Embrace Agile to Thrive in any Environment Even... Henry Bennett
- 5 Answers to Your Most Important Change Management Questions Henry Bennett
- How can Top-Down Portfolio Management Solutions help... Henry Bennett
- PMO and Organizational Transformation: Crossing the... Henry Bennett
- How project portfolio planning software helps you pivot,... Henry Bennett
- Simplify Agile Adoption and Portfolio-Level... Henry Bennett
- And Then There Was One While the pandemic of 2020 slowed... Shawn Dickerson